Locating Definitive sources for MDA definition...

Discussion of MDA with respect to MBSE
julianfej
Workstream Lead

Locating Definitive sources for MDA definition...

Postby julianfej » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:19 am

I've just been pouring through a number of potential sources for an 'MDA Definition', as per our subgroup objectives.
Sources I've inspected include:

• OMG MDA Guide 2.0, 2014;
  • MDA distilled; principles of MDA, Mellor et al. 2004;
  • MDA with Executable UML, Raistrick et al, 2007;
  • Model Driven Engineeirng and Ontology Development, Gasevic et al, 2009
I'm actually struggling to find a concise definition; what I can find is: principles, approach, process(es), explanation of roles of models, and underlying standards and technology enablers.

So currently my thinking is to pull a concise summary of such key aspects together, as as close an approximation to a definition as we can find (and others appear to have done).

Comments?

julianfej
Workstream Lead

Re: Locating Definitive sources for MDA definition...

Postby julianfej » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:20 am

Interestingly I just googled "definition of mda model driven architecture", and found the wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-driven_architecture. My personal view is I found the first sentence "Model-driven architecture (MDA) is a software design approach for the development of software systems." alarmingly overly specific to 'software'. In principle, and entirely consistent with the MDA philosophy, models can be useful to define and transform (in my view) much more than 'just software'; for instance, consider structure definition and fabrication approaches from the 3D CAD domain in recent years.

However on this site there is interesting insight into the OMG- and UML-specific (versusu non-specific) aspect of MDA.

Return to “MDA for MBSE”