Omega Guide - latest strawman

Discussion about the development of the MBSE 6W Guide
julianfej
Workstream Lead

Omega Guide - latest strawman

Postby julianfej » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:30 am

I've started a new Topic to represent that I've now made an attempt to incorporate both Ian's and Robin's last contributions.

So the latest status is reflected in attached Draft Omega progress v3.xlsx.
The latest content is in the file 2016 02 24 Draft Omega content v3.docx.

Robin's contribution from 10/2/2016 is in the tab Robin, and my interpretation and action is in tab jj rework with a Comment column indicating what I've done, both in file MBSEwg summary Robin JJ.xlsx.

I doubt we will have time, or it would be appropriate, to review this in detail at the full meeting tomorrow. Perhaps those of the Omega team that will be there could take a 'side meeting' for 30 mins (during Principles of MBSE, that I think the team will have all seen? Sorry, James).

Hope this helps Omega Guide forward.

Regards Julian.
Attachments
MBSEwg summary Robin JJ.xls
Robin's material from 10/2/2016, plus JJ actions to incorporate.
(62.5 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Draft Omega progress v3.xlsx
An allocation and Progress view
(9.93 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
2016 02 24 Draft Omega content v3.docx
Latest Omega Guide strawman
(41.47 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Ian Clark
Workstream Member

Re: Omega Guide - latest strawman

Postby Ian Clark » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 am

Apologies Julian, didn't see this before the WG meeting last week.

Only just received an email in my inbox (10:47 today) about 'New topic notification - 'Omega Guide' (?)

Very useful though as I was going to ask you for a copy of your work as presented last week.

Would like to do some more work on it.

Thanks,
Ian.

julianfej
Workstream Lead

Postby julianfej » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:58 am

Ian

ok. Get back to me with any questions. Note: on a training course today, tomorrow, should have more time on Friday.

Best regards
J

RobinNickless
Workstream Member

Postby RobinNickless » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi
I had a look at The Wiki - I think an excellent way of extending the two sides of A4.

Judging by the enthusiasm shared at the last working group maybe we could encourage a wider contribution from their own experience of looking into the MBSE black hole?
I am sure that there is a wealth of experience from the practitioners --- we must draw out why they chose a particular solution.

During the presentation on the future of a UAF I was particularly taken by the matrix shared with the room.

Could we extend the use of the Wiki to index the types of view created and the tools used to create them? This might form the basis for exploring the relative merits of each approach and allow the wider user community to share their own experience where added value has been achieved using more complex tools and processes.
My experience has been that given a chnace the engineering community will always keep things simple enough to meet their own ends!

WE could begin the process by creating a list of views/perspectives etc which we would normally associate with maturing requirements to design ... and see where it went?

I would also suggest we explore the entry and exit criteria for the 'modelling space', this seems to be a concern to much of the audience--- just when do you stop playing?

ttfn

julianfej
Workstream Lead

Postby julianfej » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:25 am

Robin

Oops hope you’ve recovered now. Our youngest daughter off school again with some flu-like bug… 

Hi, yes I did, have inserted below, as I had some questions (my text JJ like this):

Hi
I had a look at The Wiki - I think an excellent way of extending the two sides of A4.
JJ Thanks.

Judging by the enthusiasm shared at the last working group maybe we could encourage a wider contribution from their own experience of looking into the MBSE black hole?
I am sure that there is a wealth of experience from the practitioners --- we must draw out why they chose a particular solution.
JJ This is a fair point. I think this was Alex’s intent to, but he’s been somewhat incommunicado recently, I’ve really got an explanation…

During the presentation on the future of a UAF I was particularly taken by the matrix shared with the room.
JJ can’t recall the presentation matrix – I see the minutes of the meeting are on the wiki, but I can’t see the presentations – can’t even see mention of the UAF???
JJ Perhaps James can clarify – perhaps I missed it.

Could we extend the use of the Wiki to index the types of view created and the tools used to create them? This might form the basis for exploring the relative merits of each approach and allow the wider user community to share their own experience where added value has been achieved using more complex tools and processes.
My experience has been that given a chnace the engineering community will always keep things simple enough to meet their own ends!
JJ I assume that what you are doing here is making a bridge between views / perspectives on MBSE, and the needs of the different stakeholders [systems engineer, engineering manager…], correct?
JJ Seems like a good idea in principle. The Wiki could certainly be used to support that type of info organisation. Given that the ‘views’ are themselves based on perspectives on a model (cf Perry’s stuff), in principle the actual capture of stakeholders views etc., could be done in SysML, and then generated to wiki pages. But this might be too big a leap in the short term, and perhaps better done manually so we see how it works.

WE could begin the process by creating a list of views/perspectives etc which we would normally associate with maturing requirements to design ... and see where it went?
JJ This is perhaps a different (but complementary) approach to the one you describe in the para above, i.e. for former, views for different stakeholders, the latter views for different SE activity areas vs ISO 15288. Incidentally on the latter there may be a head start, with the lesser known ISO 15289, which is some sort of information perspective on ISO 15288 activity areas as I recall.

I would also suggest we explore the entry and exit criteria for the 'modelling space', this seems to be a concern to much of the audience--- just when do you stop playing?
JJ fair comment, entry and exit criteria, say versus activity areas, could be very useful. The biggest challenge is how to define – or even scope – these given the wide applications of SE and MBSE…

ttfn

Regards

Julian.

james towers
Group Chair

Postby james towers » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 am

On the specific point about the UAF presentation - somehow the update got lost in the ether, but it's there now under "Documents". You can also download it directly from here: http://www.incosewiki.info/Documents/Si ... by_UAF.PDF

julianfej
Workstream Lead

Postby julianfej » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:04 pm

James

great, thanks. I've made Robin aware too...

J.

Ian Clark
Workstream Member

Postby Ian Clark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Found it Julian!

julianfej
Workstream Lead

Postby julianfej » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi

if anyone that volunteered (Ian, James, Gonçalo) has a chance to provide or elaborate the content to the Why questions that they volunteered to tackle, in the next day or two, we'd really appreciate it...

best regards
Julian.

james towers
Group Chair

Postby james towers » Tue May 03, 2016 11:24 am

Here's some thoughts on the "When" question (which is the one I volunteered to look at). Still work to do but it's a start.
Attachments
MBSE Omega Guide Submission - Where v10.docx
(120.58 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Return to “6W Guide”